Wednesday, January 8, 2014

No pain, no gain

Yay, first weddings of 2014! I had to shoot two weddings today. Weather report said possible thunder showers, so I kept checking the sky...It was a beautiful day! Nice and sunny, not too hot...

Only crappy part was right during my wedding, a huge cloud drifted over the chapel and made it dark and ugly.... hate when that happens. Worse is when these fat clouds (never get small ones) drift in and out making it impossible to get the exposures correct! It would go from f8 1/250 to f5.6 1/125 in a second, then jump back up. Since I'm using a manual flash, I can't have my shutter speed go over 1/250 of a second, so I can't shoot aperture priority...

Not much happened, just nice easy weddings. Really great couples and 2 fun guests. Only thing that happened that gave ME a lasting memory was after the wedding ceremony, we were going to shoot a lei exchange. I set them up by the exit of the church by some railings. The couple face towards the road with the guests (two of them) face the couple. The company I shoot for wants me to catch the guests face, so I'm behind the couple. I couldn't get the second guest in the shot since the couple were on a small "hill", so I "tried" to stand on the railings and shoot down.

There are two railings that meet  perpendicular to each other, so I climbed up on them and right when I was going to shoot, my foot slipped off one of the rails and I fell down. Since I was straddling the one rail, guess where I hit? Nope, I missed the family jewels and hit my inner thigh ! My second camera (one with the long lens) swung around in circle and hit the railing. Everyone was asking "Are you Okay?" so I just said "PROFESSIONAL!!" and climbed back up and got my shot!!

Later that night when I was editing my pictures and tried to get up, my outer thigh was sore by my hip. I took peek in mirror and now i got a huge lump and bruise over there!! Winner!!

-------------------------------

Sometimes when you're shooting, you get hurt trying to rush and get your shots fast. I once was taking a group shot and I wanted to get the group from the opposite direction. So I had to climb down to the beach by walking down some rocks. When I turned to get the shot, both of my feet slipped out from under me and I landed on the rocks on both knees! Cuts on both knees and holes in my pants...
And didn't miss the shot!! PROFESSIONAL!!

Once in a great while my back gets sore. Old injury involving carrying 200lb up some stairs.. so bending over is almost impossible! And it seems always on those days, I get the videographer who likes to set his tripod up really low! I always ask him to raise it, but he won't.. So getting under it is a real challenge when you have to carry two cameras and rush to get the next shot. Once as I was trying to get under him, my flash cable caught on his tripods leg clamp and dragged his video camera with me haha.

I remember one time I was shooting a wedding and during the ceremony, when I was getting my wide shot from the back, it felt like I got stabbed in the ribs with a knife! It was so sore, I was in the back of the church and I couldn't move! Funniest thing ever! The coordinator saw me and was wondering what I was doing . Pain went away but it happened again, All I could do was laugh since it was so sore

No comments:

Post a Comment